|Title||Senior Linux Operations Engineer|
|Reports to||VP of Operations|
|Location||San Diego, CA or any OnSolve office|
OnSolve is a leading global provider of SaaS-based managed services for unified critical communications. For two decades, OnSolve has been providing high-speed notifications capable of reaching millions of people in minutes via its flagship solutions or MIR3 and CodeRED. These multimodal solutions were designed for private and public entities to deliver emergency and general notifications to residents and employees within geo-targeted areas via numerous channels. The company has grown to include more than twelve (12) custom statewide programs – the most in the industry, and provides support to Fortune 1000 companies with its industry-leading business continuity solutions. At the end of the day, we pride ourselves on connecting people to the information they need when it matters most. Our solutions successfully alert, inform, and affect lives.
Network Ops makes sure that OnSolve’s premier products and services always work and are always fast. We serve as an example of how a distributed, multiple- data center operation should function. This provides an opportunity both to learn and to teach, but most of all to feel good about work that matters. As a team, we want to work with people who like to get things done.
OnSolve is a rapidly growing entrepreneurial company – we are lean and agile, so as the new person you must be able to roll up your sleeves and dive deep into code, configurations, networking, operating systems, and storage, while still keeping an eye on the big picture. You must know the difference between working fast and working smart, but can do both when the need arises. This position requires a technical leader and motivator who is comfortable working with a small, talented engineering team in a high-pressure, dynamic and global environment.
As the ideal candidate for this role, you will be managing multiple production services and the teams which develop and operate them. You are team-oriented and a fast learner who combines excellent judgment with networking and troubleshooting skills. You dream in bash but are also fluent in other languages such as Perl and Python. You know how to get a Java app server running from download in under twenty minutes. You can also contribute to a database discussion without irritating the DBAs.
Job responsibilities include:
- Understanding OnSolve products and services to support customer configuration and data service requests
- Providing advanced support and troubleshooting for customer issues
- Deployment and automation of customer facing and internal use applications in the production environments
- Deployment, monitoring and maintenance of servers and applications in customer facing production environments
- Developing and improving existing monitoring solutions, recommended and validated new monitoring solutions
- Developing applications and automation for internal teams use for frequently requested tasks
- Responding to emergency production concerns and providing solutions and insight for resolution
- Sharing responsibility as the highest level of escalation for QA and customer support teams
- Helping define, implement and track best practice guidelines and configurations in areas such as high availability and security
- Other duties as assigned
- Expert Linux knowledge of RedHat, CentOS, Debian, Ubuntu Server
- Proficient in VMWare vSphere and ESXi clustering
- Experience with the deployment of Linux based applications in a “five 9s” SaaS environment
- Strong understanding of security concepts including but not limited to firewalls, encryption VPN, ACL, identity management, and hardening
- Experience with deployment and configuration of monitoring systems (Nagios, Cacti, etc.)
- Experience implementing security best practices in production environments
- TCP/IP networking knowledge including addressing, sub-netting, routing, and troubleshooting techniques
- Experience working with AWS and other cloud services for production software and services
- Experience with modern server deployment techniques including templates, images, kick starting, and configuration management systems, continuous deployment, etc.
- Experience and knowledge of DNS configuration and best practices
- Proficiency with scripting and programming languages such as bash, python, perl, etc
- No-SQL database server deployment and management (Cassandra, MongoDB)
- SQL database experience with Oracle, MySQL, PostgreSQL.
- 5+ years of experience as a Systems Engineer or similar role in a high traffic SaaS environment
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to communicate technical topics to non-technical audiences
- Positive attitude and user support oriented, willingness to teach and advise on technical issues
- Ability to take ownership of projects and follow through to completion while supporting other members of your team
- Willingness to work occasional long hour days and weekends when necessary, recommend and work towards improvements to reduce extra hours
- Self-motivated and goal oriented
- Desire to learn new technologies to share and build knowledge with the teams
- Ability to problem solve on complex IT topics and take initiative to recommend and implement solutions
- Ability to prioritize and multitask projects and tasks to meet department goals and deadlines
Compensation & Benefits
- Health, Dental, Vision, Life and additional supplemental insurance
- Paid time off and personal days
- Paid holidays
Are you ready to join the team? Click here to apply online.