Leading CPG brand provides health, hygiene and well-being products to customers in more than 175 countries.
Kimberly-Clark Keeps Employees Informed and Safe During Hurricane Maria with OnSolve®
With employees spread around the globe and a significant presence in hard-hit Puerto Rico, Kimberly-Clark’s Global Security Team needed a way to quickly communicate to employees in Hurricane Maria’s path.
By utilizing the OnSolve Critical Communications product, Kimberly- Clark was able to communicate with employees through multiple modes, including email, home phone, mobile phone and SMS.
OnSolve allowed Kimberly-Clark to geo-target employees in affected regions and use two-way messaging to rapidly verify the safety of all 120 Caribbean employees in harm’s way.
ChallengeA core part of the Kimberly-Clark Global Security Team mission is to engage when any crisis occurs that impacts workers and facilities. The crisis management planning had to account for the fact that severe weather events are increasing in intensity and volume, which means that the Global Security Team needed a reliable, scalable method to communicate with approximately 52,000 full-time and contract employees so that they could stay safe and protected when any crisis emerges. The OnSolve Critical Communications product was quickly put to the test in September 2017 when Hurricane Maria struck several Caribbean countries, as well as Puerto Rico, a U.S. Commonwealth. Kimberly-Clark had a workforce presence throughout the Caribbean, including more than 120 employees in Puerto Rico. With telecom infrastructure mostly unavailable, the Global Security Team leveraged OnSolve for a crisis management plan to protect all employees in harm’s way.
SolutionThe Kimberly-Clark Global Security Team put in place a comprehensive crisis management plan leading up to when Hurricane Maria made landfall, and once it did, the Team engaged the OnSolve Critical Communications product to reach employees quickly through multiple modes, including email, home phone, work phone, mobile phone and SMS. OnSolve provides organizations with several key capabilities to effectively plan for and manage emergency events:
- Seamless integration with HR database – With more than 50,000 employees, personal and business contact information changes frequently, and during a crisis you can’t afford to be communicating to out-of-date mobile, work and home phone numbers as every second matters. Kimberly-Clark was able to easily integrate OnSolve with its Workday-powered HR database, so that whenever employee information changed, it was updated in the Critical Communications system.
- Geo-targeting – Businesses with highly distributed workforces are going to find situations when alerts need to be directed to a specific area to ensure only those recipients are notified. The combination of speed and relevancy can help organizations reach those impacted with targeted notifications.
- Reliable two-way communication – Ensuring employee safety and continuity of operations is difficult to achieve by simply pushing out alerts. Business and security decision makers need a way to ensure the delivery of real-time, mission critical notifications in any message format needed, as well as a method for individuals to “respond” back to an alert in order to deepen context when possible for events like a hurricane. Kimberly-Clark also used this feature following a 2016 terrorist attack in Paris to ensure the employees there were safe
- Automated notifications – Ultimately Kimberly-Clark wants to ensure the safety and security of every employee while shortening the time between the occurrence of an emergency event — in this case Hurricane Maria — and the resolution of that incident. This requires removing as many manual steps as possible. OnSolve enables users to automate notification delivery based on pre-defined rules and triggers that would determine who should get the notification, what the message should say, and when it should be delivered.
- Rapidly create voice, text and email messages
- Easily build custom recipient groups to fit its unique business and crisis management needs
- Receive and analyze vital feedback from message recipients
- Track all notification activities in online reports for auditing and after-action reporting
- Maintain emergency call system contact data through its existing HR database